The Monroe County Local History Room & Museum in Sparta has been closed to the public since mid-March due to Covid-19, but the facility reopened June 15 for research.
Reopening will be a phased approach. Phase one, scheduled for Monday, June 15, will allow for patrons to reserve research time in the Local History Room Research Library from 1–4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Monroe County History Museum and Deke Slayton Space & Bike Museum will remain closed to the public until phase two.
Here are the specific guidelines the history room is implementing to allow the public back into the research library:
• Guests must reserve a research time slot by emailing [email protected] or calling (608) 269-8680. No walk-ins can be accommodated.
• Slots are for 90 minutes: 1–2:30 p.m. and 2:30 to 4 p.m.
• There are two reservation openings per slot.
• No more than two people are allowed at each reservation.
• All guests will be required to wash/sanitize hands upon entering the building.
• Masks are encouraged but not required.
Staff is working on finishing plans for phase two, when the Monroe County History Museum and Deke Slayton Museum will open to the public again. Those plans will be announced soon.
The Monroe County Local History Room & Museum is located at 200 W. Main St., Sparta. For more information, visit Facebook.com/MCLHR or call (608) 269-8680.