Contributed by the Elroy Chamber of Commerce
Elroy’s Pickle Fest is slated for Saturday, Sept. 10, at Schultz Park in conjunction with the Apple Dumpling Races.
Honoring our friend Carla Von Haden, we are having a little bit of pickle fun this September! She would make 400 QUARTS of pickles each year. It’s time to pucker up and get creative. Any questions, please text Kari Preuss at (608) 853-0358
• Pickle eating — $10 entry to see how fast you can eat an ENTIRE jar of pickles (best time gets half the entry fees of contestants). Available from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Pickle-seed spitting — You get 10 pickle-flavored sunflower seeds for a quarter. Who will be the grand spitter? Available from 9 a.m. to noon. Winner gets half the entry fees.
• Best pickles — Judged by our HCE (Home and Community Educators) ladies in four categories. Must deliver item by 9:30 a.m. and have at least five pickles for judges. If you want to sell your pickles, bring more and set up shop. This is for the glory of a HUGE Ribbon, Facebook stardom, and bragging rights. The categories are: A) best dill cuke; B) best non-dill cuke; C) best non-cuke pickled vegetable; and 4) best fridge pickle.
• Pickle pride creation — Homemade pickle-themed creations in food and non-food options, with three age categories: the baby dill (younger than 6), the gherkin (6–14), and the big dill (older than 14). This is an open jar of possibilities… If a food entry, please have five samples for judges plus one for the show. Must deliver by 9:30 a.m. that day.
• Dress-A-Pickle — Create an outfit for your pickle. This may include an entire diorama if you really want to get crazy. Have fun with it! The winner will be selected by popular vote.
• Pickleball — A demonstration will be held at the tennis courts (by the pool), and equipment will be available to try out if interested from 9–11 a.m.