By DAVE WESTER | Baraboo, Wis.
No one has done more to poison American discourse than Rush Limbaugh, the early promoter of racist Republican hate speech. Wisconsin’s extreme right-wing Assembly leader Robin Vos wants the flag lowered to commemorate him. Decent America just wants to see his casket lowered and covered forever with the same dirt he spewed for decades.
WaPo, 2-20-21, Colbert King:
“Whatever Limbaugh won was the country’s loss. His legacy lives on through the lives of conservative TV hosts Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham and so many others who daily and dutifully serve up the same measures of obnoxiousness that Limbaugh delivered through the microphone for decades.
“Of course, that might depend upon what you think after hearing what has come out of his mouth, such as:
• Telling a Black caller: ‘Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.’
• Saying on the air: ‘Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?’
• Mocking the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People: ‘The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.’
• Commenting on professional athletes competing at the highest levels of their sport: ‘You just gotta be who you are, and I think it’s time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call ’em gangs.’
• Commenting on women: ‘Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of pop culture.’
• Commenting on gay people: ‘When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it’s an invitation.’ Limbaugh also equated the push to legalize gay marriage to a supposed ‘movement to normalize pedophilia’ on the left. ‘What has happened to gay marriage?’ he said. ‘It’s become normal …. Don’t pooh-pooh it.’”